Revision of Lesson 01-12
If you are new to this series, here’s the links to past lessons:
We had covered all the family chords and their siblings in key of C and G Major:
Key of C major and G major are common keys used by guitarist to play sing-along guitar.
We also looked at the guitarist best friend – CAPO , and it’s application.
When we use the CAPO in conjunction with chords from C and G keys above , we are able to play almost every pop songs we wanted to play.
We have also looked at some basic strumming patterns:
|1||One strum per beat|
|3||Strumming lightly on first few strings|
|4||16 beat strum|
And we had explored some basic pluckings.
|1||8 beat pluck #1|
|2||Double string pluck|
|4||“Alternate Bass” Pluck|
Last week, we learned about 6/8 time signature and how we can strum and pluck in this musical feel:
And of course, we had fun learning all these songs !!
How To Come Out With Your Own Strumming Pattern
- Try to mimic drumming.
- Use bass strings (strings 4-6) as kick drum. Use treble strings (strings 1-3) as snare strums.
- Keep the 8/16 beat movement going while accent the kick and snare beats.
How To Come Out With Your Own Plucking Pattern
- Start the plucking pattern with bass string (played by right hand’s thumb – “T”)
- Fill in rest of the beats by playing combination of 1st 3 strings (right hands index, middle, ring fingers – “1,2,3”).
- Example : T1231231, T1213121, T3213213 , etc.
Searching For Chord Charts Online
- Open google
- Type the song name followed by “guitar chords”. eg. “Over The Rainbow Guitar Chords”
3. Find a site with the chords and lyrics
4. Click the site.
5. Take note of the information about the song.
6. Follow the chords and lyrics and have fun!
Melody Notes In Key Of C
So far, we had been playing chords on the guitar. Let’s start playing some melody notes!
C Major melody notes (the six lines represents six strings on guitar, the top line is the thinnest string. The number represents which fret to press. )
Let’s play our first instrumental on guitar – “Happy Birthday”!
It’s easy! Let’s try it!
Melody Notes In Key Of G
Here’s melody notes of G Major:
Let’s do “Happy Birthday” in key of G!
Let’s look at another time signature which is similar to 3/4.